Monthly Garden To Do List
July To Do
- Water: Water deeply, especially trees, but infrequently during dry periods. Don’t rely on your sprinkler system to water adequately in summer.
- Fertilize: Give annuals a complete fertilizer. Water well before and after application. Deadhead and fertilize roses. Fertilize young fruit trees (except pears) with organic food at 1-2 cups per inch of trunk diameter.
- Check irrigation systems for proper function – may need to extend the watering periods to make sure roots are watered.
- Mulch: Maintain mulch at 2-3” depth – add new mulch if needed – to conserve moisture
- Prepare vegetable gardens for fall planting – pull weeds & add compost
- Plant: vegetable plants: tomato, peppers, squash & cucumbers. Plant herbs: basil, oregano, thyme
- Plant pumpkin seeds for October Jack-O-Lanterns. Other seeds to plant: corn, cucumber, okra, black-eyed peas, beans, cantaloupe
- Pests/Diseases: Identify insect and fungal problems and treat with least toxic solution.
- Feed the birds. Keep bird baths clean and filled with fresh water
- Eliminate standing water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding
- Prune: Deadhead annuals and perennials to encourage a great fall showing
- Stay hydrated and protect yourself from UV rays (sunscreen/hats/sunglasses).