Monthly Garden To Do List
Things to Plant in January!
Alyssum, Butterfly Weed, Calendula, Candytuft, Cornflower, Dianthus, Daisy (African, Michaelmas and Painted), Gaillardia, Liatris, Edging Lobelia, Nasturtium, Ornamental Cabbage and Kale, Pansy, Phlox paniculate, Snapdragon, Stock.
Early-Mid Month: Asparagus crowns.
Mid-Late Month: Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Onion Sets, Peas (English & edible pod), Spinach.
Bare fruit or container grown pecans, fruit trees, grapes, and berry bushes.
Garlic chives, Horseradish, Parsley, Chervil.
Things To Do in January!
- Fertilize asparagus, strawberries, daylilies, iris, pansies, and roses. Use compost, manure or a complete fertilizer.
- Water everything well before a freeze, but avoid overwatering.
- Add compost and/or fertilizer. Till deeply. Check winter much and replenish, if needed. Stockpile leaves for mulch and composting throughout spring and summer.
- If lawn has a history of brown patch problems, treat with a labeled fungicide late in the month. Repeat treatment in three to four weeks, if needed.
Diseases/Pests To Look For:
- Check for mealy bugs and for scale on houseplants.
- Need a plant problem identified? Just bring a sample in a zipblock bag to the Travis County Agrilife Extension Office, 1600 -B Smith Road.